Required Reading: November 2013

I had a grand old time last October, at least, reading wise. I got lost in the worlds of two massive fantasy books and it was epic. Plus, I squeezed in two light and funny reads to keep me from being bogged down by all that aforementioned epicness. Anyway, here's how I did last October:

1. A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin - (5 Stars)  Ah, GRRM, I thought you couldn't take it anymore higher but you did. You sly dog you.

2. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay - (5 Stars) An absolutely grand, epic, sweeping tale of redemption and vengeance, of love and loss, of grief and hope and courage.

3. Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Skottie Young - (4 Stars) It's nice to see Neil Gaiman doing something not dark or grim and I must say he did a gret job of it. It's a funny, silly, whimsical book that kids and adults will love. 

4. William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher - (4 Stars) Shakespeare and Star Wars. Who would have thought they would make for an awesome combination?

Now onto November...
For November, I decided to do a hodgepodge of genres that I don't get to read as much . So one is a short story collection, another, a collection of essays, and another would be what they consider as a postmodern novel. 


1. Tenth of December by George Saunders - This is a collection of short stories by George Saunders, an author pretty famous for surrealism and satire. They say it's funny and weird but deeply thoughtful. So I am excited for this.

2. The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster - I have seen a copy of this in Book Sale, and have once or twice contemplated getting it. But with words like Postmodern, Metamystery, Detective Noveau, all make me want to run and hide. But I swore that this year would be a year of being open to genres besides Fantasy and or Contemporary YA. So, I am going to give this one a shot. I have been surprised by liking titles I once thought I wouldn't. Plus, it helps that it's TFG's book of the month, so I'll get to read it with the other members.

3. The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy - Because, the Catching Fire movie adaptation will be coming out this November (Yay!), I thought it would be the perfect time to read this Hunger Games Companion book, if only to increase my HG fangirling to the next level.

That's about it. What about you? What titles have you lined up this November?

Comments

  1. Isn't George Saunders nominated in the first round of the Goordreads Choice Awards? I think I saw that name as one of the nominees. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, it's him. I saw that one too. I have heard nothing but good about this title since it came out and so I am having high hopes that it'll turn out to be a great reading experience for me. :)

      Delete
  2. I gave A Storm of Swords a five-star rating too. I hope we can start on the next book soon. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for 5 stars! Let's buddy read again for A Feast for Crows? :D

      Delete
  3. ASOS! Boohoo! I am so lagging behind but I'll catch up. The New York Trilogy is surprisingly interesting. I think I'm going to like it.

    Happy November, Tin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I have no doubt you can easily catch up. When the red wedding starts, you'll be flipping the pages, till the end, like a person possessed. :)

      I am not sure how I feel about the New York Trilogy. A City of Glass was a bit too perplexing for me. I just...I don't know...it was strange...:but I am still sticking to reading the rest though. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions