Top Ten Best/Worst Movie Adaptations

For More Info go to The Broke and The Bookish
Best Movie Adaptations:

1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R Tolkien - Translating this epic fantasy on screen seems like a massive and impossible task but Peter Jackson did it brilliantly. Wonderful sweeping scenes of  Middle Earth, epic battles, and just overall great cinematography.   

2. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - Richard Armitage! Okay, sans Armitage, I think the movie was terrific. Still has awesome cinematography but I actually enjoyed the humor that they injected into the dialogues. Even the singing and the intricate facial hairs. And I have to mention the riddle scene with Gollum and Bilbo which was the best and my absolute favorite part.

3. A Game of Thrones by G.R.R. Martin - Technically not a movie, but I have to include this on this list because it's one of the new found things that I am currently obsessing about. It was the TV series that got me to read the books (so far, I am almost done with book 1) They added a little more raunch in the show but aside from that I think they did well in recreating the story on screen, with little changes here and there from the books.  

4. The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger - With the length of the book and the time travel plot, I thought the movie would not work, but I was surprised that I found it pretty good. They were able to more or less convey the story without it being too complicated, even with the limited time on screen. 

5. Life of Pi by Yann Martel - Another one of those books that I thought was impossible to be made into a movie. But no. Ang Lee took up the Herculean task and it was awesome. He captured the odd relationship between Pi and Richard Parker. And Pi's sea adventure was breathtaking and heartbreaking at the same time.

6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I am referring to Joe Wright's 2005 P&P movie. I think I loved this movie largely in part to Keira Knightly, whom I adore and I think she did a brilliant job as Elizabeth Bennett. She truly captured the Lizzie I had in mind as I read the book.

7. Matilda by Roald Dahl - The movie adaptation is one of my favorite movies of childhood. The movie was as funny and whimsical as the book. They actually had a cast reunion recently, with everyone all grown-up. See Matilda cast reunion on CBSNEWS.     

8. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling - I always to make it a point to watch all HP movies and from all of them, I think the third would be my favorite and the one in which I did not nit pick as much. 

Could Have Been Better Movie Adaptations:

9. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan - I just wished they kept more to the book. Too many changes for my liking. 

10. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - I don't know, watching the movie, I just did not feel the feels that I did when I read the book. And it lacked the intensity and the danger that were prevalent in Jacob and Marlena's life in the circus.

So, that's it! How about you what are your best/worst book to movie adaptations?

Comments

  1. We share two movies/books this week. I love the Prisoner of Azkaban and Matilda too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissi! Prisoner of Azkaban is the HP movie that has gotten a bit darker than the first two and I loved it. The dementors, the boggarts, Buckbeak, Padfoot...they were all wonderfully translated on screen.

      Matilda is such a fun movie! I still can't forget the chocolate cake scene. :D

      Delete
  2. Yes to #s 2, 3, 5, and 7 (despite not having to read 2, 3, and 5. I just felt that the production team did an amazing job adapting the books because I enjoyed it from the beginning until the end.). And 9 as well. I hope they'll do better in the Sea of Monsters. By the way, did you know The Book Thief is going to be made into a movie as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know right? I am really hoping for the Sea of Monsters to be a more accurate depiction of Rick Riordan's book of the same title. *fingers crossed*

    The Book Thief? Really?! I did not know that! Hmm. I am skeptical whether they can pull it off, the heavy emotions and all. But I initially thought Life of Pi was impossible to adapt on screen. So yeah, The Book Thief on film, I will definitely await that, with much excitement. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions