Faves of 2011: The Characters


Nomes of Inkcrush is hosting The Faves of 2011 Book Awards. This is my post for the second day topic: The Characters.

1. Favourite female main characters
I have to pick Liesel Meminger from The Book Thief because she is tough and brave, being able to survive in the kind of environment she was in, that and her love for her family and friends. Ella from Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine because she took matters into her own hands and did not let her curse enslave her. And Viola from The New World by Patrick Ness because I can see a bit of myself in her. 

2. Favourite male main character
Vernon Godlittle from Vernon Godlittle by D.B.C. Pierre. He is a bit of a foul mouthed, crazy kid but what he says most of the time makes sense

3. Best couple 
Ellie and Lucas from Fairytale Fail by Mina Esguerra because these two are kilig-inducing and Ella and Charmont from Ella the Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine because I loved the development from friendship to a romantic relationship.

4. Who I so want to be best friends with
Francesca and her gang from Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta and Emily, Lydia and Cassie from A Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty. Both are such a fun bunch and they're the kind who will always have your back.

5. Who I fell completely in love with (new literary crush)
Thomas Mackee and that's just from reading Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta. I haven't even read Piper's Son yet. I know! I wanted him for frankie and not Will.

6. Worst (best & baddest) villians
I have to pick Aaron from The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness because there is nothing like a deranged preacher man to give me the creeps. Hattie and Olive from Ella the Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine and Miss Trunchbull from Matilda by Roald Dahl. The first one is your quintessential mean headmistress, the second are evil step sisters, your classic villains.

7. Best kick-arse females
Alexandra Trese of the Trese series by Budjette tan and Kajo Baldisimo, this girl doesn't even flinch amidst all the blood, and ghosts, and demons. And also Thursday Next of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde for her bravery in taking on a supernatural villain like Hades. Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. This girl makes me wanna cower in a corner. 

8. Best kick-arse male
Artemis Fowl of Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. This kid is only 12 years old and yet takes on a whole army of fairies. 

9. Broke your heart the most
Max Vanderburg from The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Just reading about the descriptions about this guy and everything that has happened to him and his family. Then there are his skecthes and stories like The Standover Man and The Word Shaker (that he did for Liesel) just makes me cry. 

10. Favourite pet/animal character award
Manchee from The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, hands down. There is nothing more you could ask of this dog, he saved his master from danger.

11. Best YA parents award
Rosa and Hans Hubermann from The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Granted, Rosa was quite the bad cop among the two. She was stern and hard on Liesel. Hans Hubermann on the other had took on the role of the good cop. He was the fun-loving one. But both loved and cared for Liesel and their entire family.

12. Favourite sibling relationship
Francesca and Luca in Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta. There's this part where Frankie held Luca and they were crying together and she said that she can cope with her misery but cannot cope with seeing Luca so miserable and sad. That was so sweet and it broke my heart.

13. Favourite best friends/friendship award
Liesel and Rudy from The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. There was a lot of fun and troublesome escapades and bickering and name calling between these two but they loved and cared for each other.


14. Best character names
Thursday Next of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. I've heard of Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday but never Thursday. And her last name being Next adds a nice ring to it. 

Comments

  1. Yay, Ellie and Lucas and Ella and Charmont! Love those couples. :) I have a yearly thing of rounding up my favorite couples from the books that I read when Valentine's Day rolls around. I chose Manchee as my favorite pet too! But I don't have a literary crush on Tom Mackee (that spot is reserved for Jonah Griggs from Marchetta's otehr novel).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree with you on all the characters in The Book Thief - such a wonderful selection, amazing relationships... ugh, I love that book so much. I really want to read Ella Enchanted, I loved the movie lol.
    Here is my list.
    http://bellesbookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/12/faves-of-2011-book-awards-characters.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chachic
    Oh, I'd love to do a couples round up too! It's so much fun making lists and round ups no?:)

    I hope I'll get a chance to read about Jonah Griggs next year. I might just be scouring this country for Marchetta books. So, it's Tom Mackee (sigh)...for now....:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Belle
    Even the minor characters in Book Thief were standouts for me. I hope you'll get a chance to read Ella Enchanted, it's a wonderful fairytale retelling. And the movie is totally different from the book. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions