2014 Filipino Fridays #3: What Do You Think of Fan Fiction?

Visit Filipino ReaderCon for more information
"Fanfiction is pretty popular, no doubt about it, but it has been received with mixed feelings by many authors and writers. Some don’t mind it, and even welcome readers who give their own spin on their work. Some writers don’t like it at all, to the point that they contact fanfiction authors to take their work down. Others use it as a jump-off point for their own writing.
How about you? What is your take on fanfiction? Do you read fanfiction, and if you do, what kind of fanfiction do you read? Do you write fanfiction, and why? Or are you against fanfiction? Enlighten us." 
The first time I've heard of fan fiction was through my sixteen year old cousin and her gaggle of teenage friends. She told me about this site called Wattpad, a writing community where anyone can write, read and share stories including fan fiction. Since the site requires registration, which I was not up to doing at that time (or now), I don't have any idea as to how the shared stories are constructed. Anyway, this cousin of mine went though the Justin Bieber phase (before that, was The Jonas Bros.) You wouldn't belieb the massive amount of Bieber merchandise that can be found on her personage. Anyhu, she revealed that she wrote some fan fiction in honor of The Biebs. Unfortunately she refuses to show them to me. (Now she has moved on to squealing over a teen music group called R5. It's hard to keep up with teenagers.)

Second encounter was through Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. A lovely, fun read. That was probably my fist time to read actual fan fiction, albeit written by a fictional character.

I don't have any problem with fan fiction. I am open to reading them if they come highly recommended by someone whose taste I trust. But I don't think I'll seek them out, not when I have at my disposal, a massive TBR pile. Plus the internet is teeming with free short stories and essays. So I guess, I prioritize reading other stuff over fan fiction, as a matter of personal preference. :)

That's about it. Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions