Required Reading: May 2013

The Sequels Month of March. That was my reading theme and I must say I had a blast. And from the time I joined this challenge last February, this is actually the first time that I have had 3 five star reads. It was a little bit emotionally draining with having to read the last installment of two of my favorite series of all time. So that's having to say two farewells in one month. But, they were the best endings that I could ever hope for. So all in all it was a wonderful month of March!

March Required Reading Challenge Report
1. The Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare - 3.5 Stars
2. The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner - 5 Stars
3. Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness - 5 Stars
4. The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud - 5 Stars

* I initially had Son of the Shadows by Julliet Marillier for number 4 but I switched it with The Ring of Solomon because I missed Bartimaeus and it's the only book left, for me to complete the series.

*Spillovers: Review Post for Monster of Men and The Ring of Solomon

For more info go to: One More Page
For May, I decided to make it SCI-FI Month. I have these titles lined up:

1. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - This book is normally recommended for Sci-Fi newbies in literature, such as myself. Plus, the movie adaptation is coming out soon too, so all the more to read it already, which, in fact, I already did. I am about 1/3 through it and it's pretty darned good! 
2. Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card - Because my sister has been ranting about Bean and I want to be in on it.

3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - Heard this was a funny sci-fi read and it's appeal was elevated when I heard Martin Freeman played the lead, Arthur Dent, in it's film adaptation. 

Okay so that's it people. Honestly, my sci-fi experience is only limited to television and movies. This is actually my first time to really read some true blue sci-fi novels and not just a story with sci-fi elements in it. But things have been going pretty great with Ender's Game so far. So I am feeling positive about this genre.

Allrighty then. Allons-y! To Infinity and Beyond! :D

Comments

  1. Hooray for the 5 stars on Monsters of Men! :)

    I hope you will love Ender's Game. Now that you've mentioned Bean, I guess I have to read Ender's Shadow too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynai! Wasn't Monsters of Men jaw droppingly amazing?

    I am having high hopes for Ender's Game! Bean's another genius kid I look forward to meeting soon as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Ender's Game, but I have yet to pick up its sequel. Hmm. Perhaps I'll have a sequel month just like what you did here? :D

    Happy May, Tin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Atty. Monique! Ender's Game is wonderful! I know why they say Sci-Fi newbies should start with it. It doesn't have too much scientific jargon, it's fast paced, and easy to get into.

      I am considering reading the sequel to Ender's Game as well, which is Speaker for the Dead, I think? Or is it Ender in Exile? I am confused...But then I decided to go with Ender's Shadow (Shadow #1)because of Bean! :D

      You should do a sequel month too. It can make you, if not finish, at least move a book closer to completing a series.

      Thanks for dropping by Atty! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions