Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling


Summary from Goodreads:

The Tales of Beedle the Bard contains five richly diverse fairy tales, each with its own magical character, that will variously bring delight, laughter and the thrill of mortal peril.


Additional notes for each story penned by Professor Albus Dumbledore will be enjoyed by Muggles and wizards alike, as the Professor muses on the morals illuminated by the tales, and reveals snippets of information about life at Hogwarts.


A uniquely magical volume, with illustrations by the author, J.K. Rowling, that will be treasured for years to come.


The Harry Potter Series is what started my love affair for books. I love it so much that I have read books 2, 5, 6, and 7 twice and books 3 and 4 thrice! I acquired Beedle the Bard back when I was still longing for more of HP's magical world. I was looking for something to re-read so I grabbed this off my shelf. 


The name of this book made an appearance in Book 7: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows and played a prominent part in the story. It is a story book of sorts which consist of five fairy tales from the wizarding world, all having dark and creepy elements which reminded me of Neil Gaiman's fairy tale renditions and or The Grimm Brother's original tales. But each of the stories did not feel like retellings or having borrowed parts from other fairy tales. I thought they were unlike any that I have heard before. Something truly unique as making me believe that they did come from a supposed wizarding world unknown to muggles (non-magical beings). Although the gist remains similar. Good triumphs over Evil.

But what made me love this book is the extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore at the end of every tale. It captured his voice, scholarly, calm and collected, reasonable and kind, and humorous. His notes were interpretations of each of the tale presented. it showed an insight into the history of the wizarding world particularly how the strained muggle-wizard relation came to be, about the dark arts, wand lore, being an animagus. We hear a mention of familiar characters (Lucius Malfoy, Abeforth etc.) and new ones (Beatrix Bloxam). 

I believe the book only works its charm on Potter fans and may also appeal to Fairy Tale fans. And I happen to be both. As for those who aren't, they might not enjoy it as much. But my stand on companion novels remain pretty much the same. I am willing to borrow one or be gifted with one but not to purchase one. Tales of Beedle the Bard was just an exception. In fact, it is the only companion novel in my library. I don't think I'll be getting Quidditch Through the Ages or Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them anytime soon. 

All in all for a Potterhead and a fairytale fan like me, this book was a lovely treat and provided me with yet another chance to revisit Rowling's writing and the magical world that she created albeit for just a brief moment in this book's few pages.

Now who wants to get their hands on The Casual Vacancy? Me! But I have to wait for the paperback release. Hihi. :)

Tales of Beedle the Bard is a recipient of the VOYA Perfect 10 (2009).

This is my 18th entry for the Award Winning Books Reading Challenge hosted by Gathering Books.

Comments

  1. I have to admit that whilst I own a copy of this book I've never read it in it's entirety. I really should.

    You're right about the classic fairy tale vibe.

    I really enjoyed your review and I too can't wait till the Casual Vacancy is released!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! Tales of Beedle the Bard kind of brings back memories of Harry Potter. If you're a fan of the latter, I think you'll like the former.

      I am so curious about Casual Vacancy but I'm going to have to suffer waiting right until the paperback release. :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the excellent review of this book. I wonder if you might also like a fabulous collection of dark fairy tales called Black Pearls, A Faerie Strand by the amazing Louise Hawes. I reviewed it on my blog in November, 2009.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce Ray! I love fairy tale retelling compilations more so if they have dark elements. It's the first time that I've heard of Louise Hawes' Black Pearls, a Faerie Stand and I am inrigued. I am going to have to put this on my book list. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions