ReaderCon 2012 Filipino Fridays: Introductions


Hi! My name is Tin and I wasn't really much of a reader back then (Save for fairy tale books like the Lady Bird ones, a few Sweet Valleys, and a whole lot of Archie Comics). I read but I wasn't obsessed about books as I am now. It all started when I picked up J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series followed by my discovery of book blogs and bloggers. From all the book reviews I've been reading, I started acquiring a (still manageable) TBR pile and have been working my way through it ever since. I read because it takes me places, allows me to meet a variety of people, and experience all sorts of experiences that I perhaps, could never feel or do in my lifetime. 

Favorite Books of all Time
Aw, I don't think I can limit my list of favorites to 3 (or 10). So, just click this: Favorites List.

The Genres I Read
Fantasy (High and/or Urban) is my absolute favorite genre. Followed by Historical, and Contemporary as well as Retellings of mostly fairy tales. But I would prefer them to be under the main genre of Young Adult, despite the fact that I maybe a couple of years past the age limit of a young adult. (Hee :D) I do read Adult Fiction but to a lesser degree than YA.

Least Preferred Genres (for reasons of: fear, lack of brain cells, and or interest):
  • Biography or an Autobiography - It just doesn't seem like my kind of read. Maybe I just haven't found a real person whose life I'd be really interested to read about.
  • High Brow Adult Fiction and Adult Classics - I consider these as heavy, serious read that makes me glassy eyed and hurts my head. I did enjoy Pride and Prejudice though but then, that's about it. I need to try harder on this genre though. 
  • Horror - I haven't touched anything Stephen King or anything with zombies in them (save for Sabriel but that wasn't exactly horror). I have a gifted copy of Richard Matheson's I am Legend but it remains untouched on my shelves because I am a wuss.
  • Sci-Fi - I have read two from this genre, I think. I didn't like them that much. For as long as I can remember, I have always preferred the old and the past as opposed to futuristic settings. Case in point, I liked and watched The Flintstones more over The Jetsons when I was a kid. :) They say Ender's Game is good though so I'm curious about that.
Genre I would love to read more of:
Graphic Novels / Comic Books - Hay, if these things weren't hideously expensive, I think this is something I would truly truly enjoy. I would love to know more about The X-Men, Justice League, The Avengers etc. A couple of ward winning ones like Persepolis, Maus, Black Hole, The Arrival, etc. would also be lovely. But I am going into Philippine Graphic novels like Trese, and my interest was even heightened by recently having read Kwentillion Magazine. (Does anybody know if Zsa Zsa Zaturnah is good? or if there are still copies of Arnold Arre's Mythology Class or after Eden?)

Books that surprised me this year
A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnely -  I never thought I'd enjoy this so much, judging from the summary on the dust jacket but it's a beautifully written historical coming of age novel.
The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner - after the so-so 1st installment (The Thief) of this series, I never expected the second one to be miles better.
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart - I thought this will be a  one of those girly, teeny bopper type of YA book but I was surprised at how witty it turned out to be.
  
I haven't been to any of the ReaderCons and I won't be making it this year either due to geographical constraints but, you can bet on my online support. As for my expectation for this year's ReaderCon, I am going to give you my Miss Universe answer: "I expect y'all to have fun!" I sure wish I could be there. :D

Comments

  1. Horror's not my cup of tea either! Yes, definitely try Ender's Game ..amazing!!! --Nice getting to know you better Tin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still hope I could at least try the horror genre even just once though. But I don't know when that will be. Hee :D

      I'll bump Ender's Game on my to-buy list then. :)

      Delete
    2. Me too ..one day I'll try horror..afterall, I could always close the book if it gets too scary!! --No regrets with Ender's. --btw, I did read The Book Thief and loved it!! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice to know you, Tin! Queen of Attolia is my fave among that series! and Yes to Ender's Game. :) try zombie books, they are not as scary as it sounds. haha. they are my faves right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sooo happy about Queen of Attolia! I know you guys love Mira Grant's Feed right? So if I ever I finally feel brave, I'll pick that up as my first zombie book. :D

      Delete
  3. Hi, Tin! Zaturnnah book is funny :) You should try to read Elmer and Wasted by Gerry Alanguilan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to get Zaturnnah. I could use some laughs. :) Oh, I'll look for those Gerry Alanguilan's books too. Thanks Tricia! :D

      Delete
  4. so hard to limit favourites :) horror can be fun too ... though i must say some can be a little too much for my imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I just couldn't bring myself to pick just three so I put in the entire list. Tee hee. :)

      I agree that there is fun in horror. But what I don't like is the aftermath. Which usually happens at night or when I'm alone and I will be imagining things and get all jumpy. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions