2014: Challenges, Goals, & Required Reads

Reading Challenges

1. Blogger Hosted:

For two years, I participated in The Award Winning Books Reading Challenge hosted by Gathering Books. This year, the ladies of Gathering Books created the Check-Off Your Reading List Challenge. Surely, I cannot not join. It's practically tradition. For more info see: CORL Challenge 2014.


Check Off Your Reading List Challenge: 
Aim: Level 2 (11-25) Books - Book Savant
CORL READING PLAN
*Read from "Intimidating List"
*Read more Non Fiction
*Read more Short Story Collection
*Read a Play
*Make a dent on the Fantasy books in TBR pile
*Read the physical books in TBR pile

2. Self Imposed:

Read more books outside wheelhouse, like:

1. Read a title from "The Intimidating List" - See this LIST. Authors from the said list include Murakami, Stephen King, David Mitchell, Shakespeare, The Russians, etc. 

2. Read more Non-Fiction  - I only read 1 essay collection last year so I hope to increase the number this time around.  

3. Read more Short Story Collections - I read 2 collections last year. One is A Happy Prince and other Tales by Oscar Wilde, a relatively short children's book that reads like a fairy tale. The other is adult fiction called Tenth of December by George Saunders, which I adored! So I am aiming for 2 or more collections this year.

4. Read a Play - I tried Cyrano de Bergerac last year but I kept on stumbling over the structure and the dialogue. I gave Much Ado About Nothing a shot but I tripped over the verses even more. Mayhaps this year I can pulleth one off?

Required Reading: January 2014

Reading wise, December was a pretty good month. In fact it was a great year ender, that month. All of the titles I read made their way into my "best of" list. 

December 2013: Reading Report

1. A Feast for Crows by GRRM - (5/5) Schemes. Politicking. Foreboding. 
2. Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool - (5/5) Adventure. Friendship. Grief. Loss. Love.
4. The Ocean at The End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - (5/5) Haunting. Mesmerizing. Comforting. 
3. The 10 PM Question by Kate De Goldi - (5/5)  Sensitive. Sweet. Funny. Hopeful

January 2014:  Required Reads

I resolve to put myself off to a good start this year, and fulfill one of my reading goals this early. Therefore, I am doing a Non Fiction January and here are the titles I have lined up for the month:  

1. The Nerdist Way by Chris Hardwick - A self-help book of sorts. This came to my attention because Chris Hardwick's The Nerdist Podcast is something that I am beginning to enjoy.
  
2. We Learn Nothing by Tim Kreider - A collection of funny essays about the human condition, accompanied with cartoon sketches from Kreider. I started on this already and it's pretty darned good.

3. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman - Another funny essay collection but about pop culture. The eclectic title seems to say that this is going to be a riot.

So, that's about it. I hope I am not setting myself up for failure by doing an all Non Fiction January. Haha. 

How about you? What titles do you have lined up to welcome 2014? 

Comments

  1. This looks really great Tin! I think I need to be more mindful and more explicit about my resolutions. As I am currently preparing to teach a new course module for higher degree students, I have not had much time to read my novels and my fiction books, and it frustrates me. I take comfort in the fact that it's work I love doing, as this would be my first course module on children's literature. :) Happy New Year Tin. Hope we get to meet someday! It's great to be connected through our mutual love for wonderful books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Myra! That is awesome news! I wish you all the best in this new endeavor! Also, I heard over at GB that you are part of the second round judges for the CYBILS 2013 Picture Book category. That is pretty cool. :D

      Also I am happy that GB is going great. Love the 2014 bimonthly themes. I hope we'll get a chance to meet too! Here's to a great 2014!

      Delete
  2. Judging from your taste in books... I think you'll like David Mitchell. I do hope you get to read him soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! You guys are building him up to me pretty good! So I am really encouraged to try him this year. :D

      Delete
  3. Wow. I salute your for venturing into non-fiction. This inspired me so I might also get into that genre this year but limit my self to Christian lit so that it would be doable. :)

    I feel that I should read a Mitchell this year (i.e. Cloud Atlas), maybe we could buddy read? That is, if you're up to it. :)

    Happy new year, Tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I surprised myself too, by doing an all non-fiction month instead of just slipping one in between fiction reads. It's going great so far with We Learn Nothing. :) Yes, do some non fiction! This genre may surprise you. And I agree, it's better if the topic of the non-fiction read is something you're interested in. That's how I chose the titles above.

      Sure, I'm up to it Lynai! I'm good with Cloud Atlas. But I must first find myself a copy. :)

      Happy New Year too! I hope you'll get to read some of the titles you had on your 501 Must Read CB list! :D

      Delete
  4. You okay with Booksale copies? Because I sometimes see copies of Cloud Atlas here. I can get it for you if ever I chance upon one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need Lynai! The husband of my brother-in-law's sister (ang complicated ano? Hehe) will hook me up with a copy. He says he might have both Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas. If he's good on his word, this week I might have it na. :D

      Delete
    2. That's great! (Yes, I had to repeat reading that phrase more slowly: The husband of my brother-in-law's sister...Haha!)

      And oh. A bloggy facelift! Yay! :)

      Delete
  5. Hooray for AFfC! Let's move on to ADwD already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! Yeah! ADWD! Haha! Whenever I talk about the ASOIAF series, there has to be many exclamation points. :D

      Delete
  6. Woot for the Wenches of ASOIAF!
    I was thinking of the Russians too, but there were some reconsiderations regarding my unread shelf.
    Godspeed on your plans, Tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Wenches of ASOIAF! Yeah! We are awesome. :D I am thinking of doing a David Mitchell with Lynai first, so The Russians are probably going to wait a little longer.

      Thanks Louize! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions