June 2016: Required Reading

May 2016 - Required Reading Report:

1. The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness - (4/5 Stars) I was unsure about this during the first few chapters. The whole "wink-wink", meta thing can be terribly annoying. Parodies too can grow tired fast and sometimes turn mean in lesser skilled hands. But I worried for naught because Patrick Ness is an amazing writer. At least for me, he took a risk and he pulled it off. Having the chosen one fantasy story in the background adds texture to the YA contemporary story in the forefront. It made, what could have been a run-of-the-mill coming of age story, less hackneyed. I love the contrast between the plot driven fantasy story of the indie kids, and that of the character driven, internal monologue-y contemporary story of Mikey and his friends. That and the fact that Ness writes such good prose and with much sensitivity. Mikey's experiences with OCD and anxiety felt very genuine to the point of familiarity. The Rest of Us Just Lives Here came to me as a very good kind of surprise.      

2. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch -  (4/5 Stars) Speaking of plot driven fantasy stories, The Lies of Locke Lamora is one hell of a complex web of one entanglement after another. All the world's a stage for Locke f***ing Lamora! But I don't know, I somehow wasn't that much invested in the characters. I mean sure, they're bad-asses, and witty and charming and all. But I think they got lost in all the action. I just didn't feel strongly enough for any of them. And I so wanted to feel devastated when *bleep*, *bleep* and *bleep* got killed. I wanted to feel every fiber of my being root for the revenge of so and so. But no. The characterizations didn't afford me that. It's one heck of a good yarn fo shore, but I am not compelled to read the next installment just yet.  

June 2016 - Required Reading:


1. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luiz Zafron - Our book club's book of the month. I just received the e-book and audio copies from discussion leader, Doc Ranee now, so I am going to get a crack at this tonight. That is, if I don't get distracted by watching the rest of CW's The Flash Season 2! But from what I hear Zafron's book is a page turner, so yeah, I am excited. 


2. Time's Arrow by Martin Amis - I only need to finish reading an experimental novel to be able to yell out Bingo for TFG's ongoing reading challenge. And for the longest time, I couldn't decide on what title to read under the said genre. Because you know experimental novels are mind melters so I had a tough time trying to research just which one is less so. My mind is melted enough already, thank you very much. Now, I have to thank Meliza for suggesting Time's Arrow. Or maybe I have to hold off that thank you until I'm done? Ha.  


That's about it! I hope you all  have a smashing June!

Comments

  1. One pretty good experimental novel is Danielewski's House of Leaves. Have you read it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet! But I have a copy! I am waiting for Meliza to borrow one from Mawi (Or was it Aaron?) as we plan to read this one together. Because I don't have enough guts to read it alone! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions