Filipino Friday #3: The Book Drop


You know what, I have never really strongly considered book dropping. I have grown very much attached to my book collection. Ahihi. But now that I think about it, I like the idea. It's kind of mysterious and romantic and stuff. Might be, I'll try and do it once, just to see how I feel about it. It would be great though if I could stick around and see who gets it. I don't think I can stand not knowing/seeing.

But for now, me no participantes. I don't think I got that Spanish right. Haha.

Tell us about your most memorable or favorite book hunting experience. Have you ever found a book in a most unexpected place? 

Every time I find a book that's below 100 pesos, I consider that as memorable. (cheapskate much?) Especially if they're in excellent condition. And hardbound! I remember getting my favorite children's book, Bud. not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis, hardbound, at 40 pesos only. And I was so thrilled about that find. But those dirt cheap used books are hard to come by nowadays. And there was also this other time where I got a brand new trade paperback copy of The Book Thief, only to find a hardbound, like new, copy of it on sale, at 100 pesos, at a bargain bin, a day or two after. :(

I have never found a book in an unexpected place. That would be awesome though which leads us to the next question... 
  
If you find a dropped book somewhere, what would you do with it? 

Read it! Keep it! Wait, no, I'd drop it off again, after reading, for somebody else to find. Like I said, I like the idea of it, it's like you are part of this serendipitous event in the circle of layp!    
   
Where do you get your books nowadays? Do you still go to bookstores, or do you buy/order books online?

I get books from both places, your brick-and-mortar bookstore and your online one. Usually I go for National Bookstore and Book Sale, as those are the only bookstores from where I live. And there's the online ones: Celina's Books and Magazines and Life is Like A Book Page. Although it's been awhile since I got anything from them. And since, multiply is gone, I am not sure if they have transferred somewhere else. I did ask a friend of my sister's who is in the U.S. of A to buy me some books from Amazon, once. Never tried directly doing so, though. 

There have been some talk about brick-and-mortar bookstores folding up because of the whole e-reader/e-books/digitalization stuff, but I don't know. I still adore bookstores and I absolutely love going inside them and I really hope they would stick around, like forever, for today's readers and the next and the next. :) 


The 3rd Filipino ReaderCon: What Do Readers Want? will be on November 9, 2013, 8:00am to 6:00pm at the Rizal Library of the Ateneo de Manila University. Secure a spot and Pre-Register now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions