Filipino Fridays #3: Reading Habits and Book Formats

Majority of my reading time happens in the morning while having breakfast and at night before going to bed. I occasionally bring whatever I am reading and read it in the car, although reading in a moving vehicle is bad, I know. Meh. I find it nice to always have a book in my bag so that I can just resume reading whenever I find me some free time.

I can't read when I lack sleep. I prefer hard covers if only money was of no object. I like my books to be in the same condition as when I bought it. So, if it's brand new, no spine creases, dog ears, scribbles or dents, to the exasperation of my sister and cousin who borrows books from me. I am also, into the old habit of wrapping them in plastic. I also seem to not remove the price tags of the books that I buy, for fear of ruining the cover.

I have had a long standing debate about whether I should acquire an e-reader and about my feelings towards e-books vs printed ones. After much deliberation, I still go for printed ones. I love seeing the wonderful book covers and actually flipping the pages. Plus, they seem to be generally cheaper than e-books and most especially since I can get them used, resulting in an even lower price. 
I am not saying that I won't read e-books because I would but I don't think I'll be investing in an e-reader anytime soon. And reading via my laptop is out of the question because the glare is quite too much.

I haven't tried audio books yet. Save for the cassette tapes of fairy tales my sister unearthed at home, which we played for my nephew. I found them quite slow. Not unlike reading where you get to set your own pace. But maybe audio books nowadays are different, better. So I have yet to try recently made audio books, for me to fully formulate a proper judgement. If you know any free and safe audio book sites do let me know. :D

Learn more about it HERE.

Comments

  1. I'm also OC when it comes to book conditions. I prefer buying new ones and feel quite hesitant borrowing them to people. hahaha! If a book is written by my favorite author, I always find a way to buy its hardcover format.

    I also don't like reading from the computer, especially with the white background! With my astigmatism, my eyes get easily strained and more often than not, I'll get migraines afterwards. I still and perhaps will always prefer physical books more than e-books.

    Oohh.. I'm also curios about audiobooks. I never tried listening to one. Perhaps I'll try it, if I happen to find a good title for audiobook. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rhin! I only lend to people I trust or to OC people like me.:D Whenever I do lend them to people in which I have no power to refuse (e.g. big sisters, and other family members), they always come with a series of conditions and warnings. Heehee.

      New ones are the best but these days, I buy mostly used books as long as they are in very good to excellent condition, and most importantly, dirt cheap. :)

      Audio books would provide us with a different reading (listening?) experience no? That's why I'd love to give it a go sometime too. :D

      Delete
  2. I used to be OC about books. Now I have struck a rather nice balance of being able to let them go ... when the time is right!

    Please check out my post when you get a chance:
    Filipino Friday 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am less OC about used books, it's only the brand new ones that I feel quite protective about. Hee. :) I do hope I'll reach the time when my being OC about books would go down a notch or two. :D

      Delete
  3. I'm lucky to have a library that has "Playaway" digital audiobooks ..they're very portable ..like an iPod. My library also checks out audiobooks online but I haven't ventured there yet. --I don't know of any other free sites but when I do I'll be sure to let you know. --I love audiobooks because I can "read" while doing my house chores or chasing my kiddos. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I envy your library! I think audio books would be perfect while commuting. You can "read" and at the same time your eyes are free to keep check of the surroundings. And yes, it's a prefect way to sneak in some reading while doing chores and keeping the kids in line. :D

      Delete
  4. It's only lately that I acquired the habit of covering my books with plastic. Before, I read them in just the condition with which I bought them, with price tags still on and all. :D I guess my exposure with Goodreads actually influenced me to be more OC with my reading and my books? Hehe.

    I got my Kindle as a gift (yay!) but before I got it, I was seriously contemplating buying one for myself. I love that it is very convenient to lug around plus there are books which you can easily acquire in digital format. But then again, nothing still beats the smell and feel of "real" books, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this habit of mine was cultivated way back to kindergarten days up until high school where teachers would normally make it a rule that text books and note books are to be wrapped in plastic. :)

      Aw, I wish someone would gift me with a Kindle! I agree, an e-reader definitely gets points for convenience. But no reader would ever abandon reading physical copies. :D

      Delete
  5. I recently felt the need to be O-C with my books when I started compiling them and noticing the damages on the spine and covers and the yellow pages from the old ones. I guess I need to take more care of them especially when I bring them with me. And I just hope that the persons borrowing my books would take care of them as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of yellow pages, I wonder if there is way to keep them from discoloring? Seeing yellow spots on my old books bothered me too.

      Ah, lending books is truly hard, and yeah all we can do sometimes is hope that they would take care of our books. Or we can just yell warnings at them. :)

      Delete
    2. True, but just like they say, the more 'damaged' a book is, the more it is read. That alone makes it okay for me. Unless of course the book in question is a favorite/part of a collection. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABNKKBSNPLAKo by Bob Ong (REVISITED)

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner

Filipino Friday #1: Introductions